As part of the mapping of the legal systems with regards to falsified medicines in the partner countries, one of the legal experts undertook a mission in Malawi.
In link with the National Focal Point and the National CBRN team, the expert was able to:
– Identify and liaise with national contact points in the fight against falsified medicines
– Collect national legislation and regulations on falsified medicines and analyse existing legislation and legislative processes in Malawi
– Identify target groups requiring capacity building within the national legislative commission or bodies that will participate in the drafting / updating of the legal texts
– Identify the legal provisions in place that allow the National Drug Regulatory Authority (NMRA) to seize, quarantine, sample, analyse, recall and destroy medical products that do not meet standards or falsified
– Identify the legal provisions in place for the inspection, investigation, enforcement and proportionate punishment of those involved in the manufacture, distribution, storage, supply and sale of inferior and falsified medical products
The next steps will be to organise trainings and technical seminars on best practices.